Skip to main content

Krav Maga and Self Defense Topics #2

 Need to study this hand wrap technique.
  
Audio Interference: Teaching Self-Defense
“When I first took karate, I was already an activist. And I could see right away what this could do for women in the 70s.” — Annie Ellman

Good reminder of how privilege can be at play when we practice martial arts, with the luxury of multiple memberships (I'm guilty) and extended coursework (also). Great podcast featuring interviews with two groups that teach self-defense skills: Pop Gym and the Center for Anti-Violence Education.

Dealing with Strikes from the Guard
Practical self defense BJJ training. I'm always surpised how much sport jiu jitsu does not reflect the realities of fighting, so this is a refreshing change. Kind of a "no-duh" for Krav people, but good nonetheless.

Why Krav Maga is Different from Martial Arts
"A Krav Maga practitioner is not challenging anyone in their realm, or in any other realm.  We are normal people living our lives. We are comfortable in who we are and confident enough to not have to challenge anyone in an ego contest."









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find something in them to hang him. -Cardinal Richelieu, or some neighborhood associations
Friday night: a visit to Ninja Cafe, where the waitress was very skeptical of my knowledge of Japanese. Then, we went to dba and had a few cocktails with the owner of some New Orleans websites for those with prurient interests. On Saturday, I worked on the pond, getting proper filtration set up for it. This will give us the opportunity to add more fish to it. On Saturday evening, I roasted garlic and we made some drinks with Red Bull and then we visited Rese and Kenneth in Rese's tony Henderson condo .