Skip to main content
So, I am nearly through my first two week's of readings, compressed in to one week (!). So far, the quality of the readings has been excellent. They include:

“An Introduction to Creating Repeatable Arbitrage"
This is the program's philosophy for teaching the quantitative skills of business through practical application.

“Because Wisdom Can’t Be Told”
This is the Harvard Business School introduction to the case method, which Acton uses heavily.

“Stars and Steppingstones”
My favorite quote in this essay on finding your destiny: "The ultimate horror is not death. The ultimate horror is to wake up at age fifty-five or sixty and realize that you have wasted your life; either that time has slipped past while your dreams waited, or that you never had any dreams at all."

Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment
I have read this book twice now. Once when I was trying out some of the books on the Personal MBA recommended readings and again now at Acton. George Leonard uses examples from Aikido, sports and other arenas to illustrate the path of mastery. It's a remarkably clear headed and visionary approach to how to improve performance by becoming better learners. In fact, this was the book that inspired me to pursue the Acton program.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find something in them to hang him. -Cardinal Richelieu, or some neighborhood associations
Friday night: a visit to Ninja Cafe, where the waitress was very skeptical of my knowledge of Japanese. Then, we went to dba and had a few cocktails with the owner of some New Orleans websites for those with prurient interests. On Saturday, I worked on the pond, getting proper filtration set up for it. This will give us the opportunity to add more fish to it. On Saturday evening, I roasted garlic and we made some drinks with Red Bull and then we visited Rese and Kenneth in Rese's tony Henderson condo .