Skip to main content
As a person who works primarily in the non-profit world, I think it gets easy to be swallowed up by the politics and the bureaucracy of it all. Sometimes, I need something to help remind me why I’m working so hard and why it still matters.

Tonight, Cassie and I got a reminder. We saw a screening of the film “Nobelity” at the stunning Paramount Theatre in downtown Austin.

“Nobelity” is the story of filmmaker Turk Pipkin’s journey to draw something coherent out of the bewildering jumble of our planet: to grasp the “big picture” of things and understand what each of us can do to address the most pressing problems of the world. His interest in these issues is hardly theoretical. His responsibility to his own daughters is the impetus, but his thinking draws us to wonder just what world we are leaving to our children and grandchildren.

His travels take him to interview nine Nobel Prize winners in peace, economics and the sciences. His conversations with each subject are powerful and thought provoking. The places in the US, Europe, Africa and India he visits also provide an amazing (and especially in the case of Calcutta, India, heartbreaking) backdrop to the discussions.

The movie was an energizing call to action to change the world. If you get a chance to see it, you won’t be disappointed. You can see the trailer here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Since I spend about 75% of my work time either in or thinking about New Orleans but live in Austin, I am often asked to compare the two places. I spent the last five years of my life as a highly visible, highly vocal booster of New Orleans, so many people I meet are surprised when they hear that we have settled, at least for the near term, in Austin. For Cassie and me, the decision to stay in Austin was pretty easy. We didn't have any assets to protect in New Orleans. Our house was pretty thoroughly destroyed so there was no hurry to come back. We also wanted to find some degree of stability for our son; New Orleans is a dynamic place right now and since he had already spent about a fourth of his life in evacuation/gypsy mode, we decided we would try to give him a rest. So we arbitrarily chose Austin off the map. It was a reasonably short drive away from New Orleans. It was the only really progressive city in Texas. Much like New Orleans, it's a blue island in a sea of...
My Twelve Favorite Cities in the World Buenos Aires New Orleans Havana Paris New York, NY  Las Vegas, NM (NOT Nevada) Santa Fe, NM Corrales, NM Madrid, NM   Washington, DC Chicago, IL  San Francisco, CA

Some Things You Can Do to Get Ready

Version 1 - 3/9/2020 Version 2 - 3/10/2020 (fixed the awful formatting from my word processor, added link to information resources ). First off, I’m writing this in a personal capacity. Nothing I say here reflects the views of my employer. Second, I’m writing this from the perspective of someone who reads a fair amount and thinks about these things. I’m not a doctor, or positioning myself in any way as an authority on these issues. I am someone who saw the meltdown of one city firsthand after Hurricane Katrina and watched the US government struggle to assist people in need. I was also teased unmercifully for my many years of over reaction every time there was a hurricane near the city. But you only have to be right once. I will be updating this and adding links as I think of more. Expect Social Distancing Mandates/Requirements What we know from the influenza pandemic from 1918-1919 is that when you don’t have antibiotics, antivirals, vaccines, or sophisticated respirator t...